Smiles of a summer night….
Thursday August 2nd
My day started out with a trip to Blå Jungfrun, and it was
much more than I’d expected in many ways. I caught the 9:30AM boat over to the island;
it was about an hour and ½ ride through the beautiful waters of the Baltic Sea.
It was a perfect day to be outside, the sun was shining and there wasn’t a
cloud in the sky. Once we arrived to the island, the guide handed us a map and
a few bits of important information. The most important being about the rocks
of the island, because this is the “evil and magical island” and home to the
evil sprits, they recommend you not take any of the beautiful rocks with you as
a souvenir as it brings bad luck for as long as you have the rock. Many people
have ignored this and have ended up mailing their rocks back explaining all of
their bad luck that’s happened since. I believe that you create you own luck,
and life is really what you make of each situation, but I certainly wasn’t
going to chance it, especially being 4,000 miles away from home.
The island was so beautiful and very physically challenging.
If I’d known about all the climbing I may have thought twice about going, but I
am really glad that I went as it was a great experience. The entire island is
made from these huge rocks that are millions of years old. We are told they are
similar rocks to what you’ll find in Australia as many years ago Blå Jungfrun
was quite close to Australia.
We arrived onto the island promptly at 11:00AM, and we had
to be back by the boats at exactly 2:15PM. It takes about 2 and ½ hours to
climb around the perimeter of the island, so I immediately started my
excursion. The huge clay orange rocks are very sturdy, however it was at times
very difficult to move from one to the next as there is no clear pathway, my
only guide was the waist high wooden markers painted with white to keep me on
track. In the beginning I followed what looked to be a nice couple,
they were Swedish and seemed to know what they were doing (as I was by myself).
The first point I made it to on the island was Stora jättegrytan, which is a
stone during the ice age that has a big gaping whole through it, it was very
neat to see. Next I walked down through the boulders and landed at Labyrinth. I
walked through the pathways of Labyrinth and was not able to figure out a way
to the center. So I gave in, and decided to sit down and enjoy the scenery and
eat my packed lunch. The staff here at the school where so kind to pack me a
lunch after I told them I’d be out for the entire day. Feeling the cool breeze
and the warm sun on my face, all while looking out to the Baltic Sea! Certainly
the best lunch I’ve had.
Next I decided to climb more towards the center of the
island, and see the Kyrkan and Toppen stops. The center of the island was more
of woodsy scenery; I was still using the white wooden poles to guide me
through. Most of the time when you are standing at one of the poles you can see
where the next one is so you know where to go, but some of the time I had to
use my instinct while climbing over rocks and branches and through leaves and
plants of all kinds. It was certainly a physical challenge and a mental one. I
learned how to trust my gut instinct to lead me to the right direction. Because
most everyone in the group split up and went their own directions there were
times when I was very alone in certain areas, it sort of made me feel like
James Franco in the movie 127 hours…creepy! Then, just about every 20 minutes or
so I’d run into someone from the group, which was always a huge sign of relief!
I walked through some stunning caves and made it all the way on top of the
island, where the view was exquisite. When I saw the variety of our group it
kept me encouraged that I could make it back to the other side of the island where
I needed to be, there was a pregnant woman and people 3 times my age climbing
these rocks, so I could to!
After almost 3-hours of walking and climbing the island I had
finally made it back to where the boats were! I felt a great feeling of accomplishment
for making it back unscathed. I still had some time left, and I joined in with
the Sweds by going down near the water to dip my feet it, it brought a
delightful cooling over my body, I was pretty hot and sweaty by then. A lot of
folks were daring enough to make it all the way into the cold water.
I made it back to the harbor around 4PM, and was able to
relax a bit before dinner here at the school. We had a hearty meal of meat loaf
and potato’s; it was just what I needed to restore my energy. After dinner a
few of us walked over to check out this huge castle looking tower that we see
everyday near the school, it turns out it’s just a water tower, and you can
walk all the way up to the top, but it was closed once we got there.
Around 7:30 a few of us, with our professor, headed to a
small impromptu concert at the döderhultarn kyrka (church). This is where Axel
Pettersson (the artists who does the wooden carvings I talked about) get’s his nickname,
döderhultarn from. He was named after the town he lived in. It was a beautiful
concert of a clarinet and piano, very peaceful and meditative music. Afterwards we met and talked with Father Norrgård. Elizabeth, who we’ve meet earlier
in the week, was also there. Her father is the one who started the oskarshamn folkhögskola,
where we are staying. She invited us back to her house for a drink. We drove
through acres and acres of land that her family owns just to get to her
house, which was very beautiful. She is an artist and has her painting
surrounding all of her walls trough her home.
It was a day full summer day filled of beautiful experiences,
which I am so very grateful to have had.
Goodnight,
K





No comments:
Post a Comment